Wednesday, June 9, 2010

If you're Coeliac, don't fly Virgin Atlantic

I went to San Francisco last week on a work trip. Have only flown BA since diagnosis, but with the strikes and wanting to fly with a friend who'd already booked, I went Virgin. Of course I pre-booked gluten free food.

On the way out I was pleasantly surprised with a lunch that was GF and vegetarian! (I've been eating chicken since diagnosis out of necessity but am still a veggie at heart so was really pleased by the veggie dish). It went downhill from there tho. An hour later ice creams came round, and after analysis of the label I decided it was ok to eat one. An hour later - warm wraps. A veggie and meat option, but both in flour tortillas, so obviously no good, but I wasn't too hungry so not bothered.

Several hours later, however, (and 7 hours after lunch) "tea" was served. Sandwiches, with a cookie. I asked about gluten free and the cabin crew asked around then looked bemused. I was given a bag of grapes, because "nothing else was loaded on the plane". The guy was very apologetic, but I was left hungry.

I emailed Virgin, explaining that I hoped this was a one-off. But sadly, on the way back, the same thing. Ok meal after take-off, then when everyone else got savoury croissants and a muffin for breakfast, I got leftover fruit from premium economy (it was on china plates with metal cutlery - kind of a giveaway). That's really pretty rubbish, as I pointed out to the cabin crew: eight squares of pineapple and melon doesn't really count as a "meal". This time around instead of apologising they were quite dismissive and explained that fruit was the only option, in a manner that suggested I was rather above myself for expecting anything else if I was to be so troublesome as to be coeliac.

I've written to Virgin Atlantic to complain, once for each journey. I'm told by the auto-response that I may get a result in 28 days. I'm not holding out.

Big fail for Virgin Atlantic on the coeliac front.


3 comments:

  1. Oh No! Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. I know how annoying it is to go hungry on a long journey as I have wheat intolerance. I tend to take fruit bars and crisps where-ever I go now! Last time I flew it was with United Airlines and they were fantastic except my husband was getting things like cheese and crisps and I was getting rice cakes and fruit! I can eat cheese! Somehow they always seem to misunderstand. If people like us keep sending off letters and emails they will get it in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just registered for annual IT staff conference at Oxford, and they managed a Gluten Free meal choice on the registration form - pretty sad that Virgin hasn't gotten to grips with it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd really think a major airline would have it sorted - so many other places do.

    Debra - isn't that infuriating?? I didn't get a dressing for my salad and everyone else got olive oil/lemon thing that would have been fine. My best experience was pre-GF when I flew Cathay Pacific as a (very specific lacto-ovo) veggie. Husband got cheese omelette for breakfast. I got a ball of boiled spinach. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete