Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wonderful San Francisco Bakery


After a bad start on the flight, things got better on arrival in San Francisco. During our Sunday wander around I made a point of stopping off at the Ferry Terminal to look for an outlet of the Mariposa Baking Company, who I'd come across online. They are based in Oakland but have a little stand in the ferry building, which is also home to all manner of lovely food shops and delis.


And Wow - what a fantastic gluten free selection! Bagels, focaccia, ciabatta, baguettes... I had a bit of a squealy moment, soon dampened by the realisation that I was staying in a hotel with no means to heat or toast anything. But they had sandwiches for sale (another squeal) but only salami, which I still can't bring myself to eat. The Mariposa people were fab tho, and suggested taking a baguette to another shop for a filling. They recommended roasted pork from around the corner, but that's not really my thing, so I went to a cheese shop and bought some lovely herbed (read "urbed") soft cheese and made a little picnic:










Fab. My travelling companions had baguettes from another bakery, and we sat in the sun by the Bay Bridge and munched on lovely food. When you've not had a decent sandwich for many months, you can get very excited about simple bread and cheese.
I also bought cinammon rolls and coffee cakes for the next few days' breakfast, and they were extremely tasty.

If Mariposa was in my neighbourhood I'd be a very happy Coeliac indeed.
Oh, and they also had this selection of cakes and muffins:

No comments:

Post a Comment