Friday, August 7, 2009

First GF meal out

It was with some trepidation that I approached my first gluten-free meal out. I had trawled around the web and found a few places in Oxford that had GF labelled on their menus, but we'd been to Las Iguanas last time, and when I met up with C it was tipping down and we couldn't face the walk across town to Carluccio's to try out their GF pasta. So we opted for Quod.

I worked out the obvious stuff from the menu, but there were a few sauces and things that I wasn't sure about, so when the waitress came over I started with "I have some awkward questions first: I can't eat gluten."

I don't know what I was worrying about. She didn't bat an eyelid, and knew which of the main courses were gluten free straight off, all except for one, which she checked with the kitchen and came back a minute later to confirm it was ok. I picked caprese salad for a starter and she said it was normally served on bread but they would leave that out, and she'd double-check on the pesto that it was served with.

Prawns and salad for a main (I tried to get C to have chips so I could steal some but the waitress pointed out they weren't GF, so it's just as well she didn't), and again she knew exactly which desserts were ok. As she brought the bill I thanked her and said how pleasantly surprised I was, and she explained that she was in fact studying nutrition. So I don't know if I just had an exceptional server, but I hope my meal was a good indication that Quod is happy to adapt dishes for coeliacs. I'll certainly go back to test out my theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment