Sunday, November 29, 2009

F*****g hundreds and thousands

So I spent ages this weekend making things: gluten free birthday cake for NGFH because his mum was down early for his birthday. Then, as we had to cook dinner too, and GF desserts are impossible to buy, I made a GF apple crumble. (This is possibly the 4th time in my life I have made a dessert from scratch. You just don't get GF desserts ready-made.)

All was good, but felt bloated in the eve, and then woke up early this morning very uncomfortable. Put it down to the fact that I'd undulged in custard, and milk in my coffee the night before. Got on with things in a fatigued kind of way.

In the afternoon NGFH told me I looked very tired, which made me cross, but also made me think. I checked the custard pot from the night before, but it was ok. So we sat down and had tea and the rest of the GF birthday cake. Halfway in it hit me: what about the cake decs? I was sure I'd checked them all.

Quick into the kitchen. Hundreds and Thousands. Gluten.

DOH.

I cried.

I'm still liable to burst into tears about it. I checked EVERY ingredient in everything yesterday. Apart from the effing hundreds and thousands, which NGF Son had spread liberally across the cake.

Officially fed up now.

No comments:

Post a Comment