Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fed up of Free-From

So the GF thing I was ok with, but 5 or 6 weeks after being on the diet I started to feel progressively worse and couldn't work out why. I checked everything I was eating: preparation methods, chopping boards - you name it, but couldn't spot a surreptitious source of gluten.

Then a few days a go a had a few really bad days of bloating and stomach pain and spotted a trend: dairy. Started after breakfast (GF cereal with milk), got worse as I had cups of tea with milk, and then mozzarella on my GF salad for lunch. So as an experiment I picked up some soya milk and dairy-free spread (for my unpalatable bread) and tried a day or two without.

Result? Feel loads better. Physically. Bloating and pains gone. Have dropped a size on my waist in the space of 24 hours.

Mentally? Not good. Gluten free, dairy free, non-red meat eating - not a good combo. Lunch options reduced to one salad bar* if I don't take my own. Dinner options dwindling. Cake for nonGF husband's birthday this weekend seeming impossible. Cheese. I love cheese. It makes veggie food tasty. It makes GF pasta bearable. And chocolate... sob.

There's a reasonable chance this intolerance is temporary, and once my small intestine heals I will be able to reintroduce dairy. (I need to focus on that when I'm looking for a quick dinner because I'm knackered after work and NGFH is out for the eve and I just want an easy meal and realise there's no such thing for gluten and dairy-free people and I feel tears welling up in my eyes and try very hard not to cry in the middle of the M&S food hall.)

Ho hum.


*Alpha Bar in Oxford's covered market is pretty much saving my sanity with tasty veg/vegan options galore. But even their lovely lentils get a bit dull if they are the only option in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment