Saturday, October 10, 2009

I am SO stupid

Since my endoscopy two weeks ago Friday (which I was going to post about, but it was a bit unpleasant to be honest. I have a photo of the inside of my small intestine, but posting that seemed a bit like Too Much Information.) I've been back on the full GF diet. The Gastroenterologist said he couldn't say without biopsy results, but all the pointers were to Coeliacs, so I should go for it. He also asked if I was anaemic, which I'm not (although close) cos I "looked a bit pale". This was at 3pm when I hadn't eaten since 6.30am that morning. Of course I looked a bit pale!


Anyway, had been sticking to the GF quite religiously, but not feeling all that much better. Had put this down to recovery time, and the fact that my symptoms were enough that it might take a while. But on hols this week I still had the telltale jabbing pain in my left side, and couldn 't work it out. When I woke up on Wednesday it occurred to me to double-check my vitamin pills. I've been taking a few supplements of various sorts to try and build myself back up. One was a vit B complex. With, as it says on the front in quite big letters, added "Brewers yeast".


Doh doh doh. Brewers yeast. From hops. Cereal with gluten. So following a strict diet for 10 days I'd been supplementing with a gluten tablet every morning. IDIOT. It even said on the bottle "from cereal containing gluten".


So now I'm properly GF. And slightly cross about two weeks wasted. The lesson, as I'm really starting to learn, is ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT.

No comments:

Post a Comment